Friday, September 24, 2010

Varnishing almost done... but not quite

I'm a negligent blogger. It's been two weeks now with no updates, as I'm sure you're aware. I'm going to take a line from Rachel's* book though, and say that I did it (or in this case didn't do it) because I love you guys too much. I love you guys too much to subject you to two weeks worth of pictures showing more empty wood in various stages of varnishing, and more posts saying "we're still varnishing". Ok so I'll stop being melodramatic, but really it would have been boring reading.
We had some excellent help these past two weekends. Two Sundays ago Jill and Chris came to help us varnish. They stayed all day and between the two of them put one coat on the master bedroom, one coat on the bathroom, and half of a coat on the mudroom. You guys are awesome!

Then the following Sunday Marcelle and Chris paid us a visit and they helped me for the first day of outdoor labour that I've had in about two months. Marcelle and I cleaned up the yard, moving lumber and other various construction materials to the back of the house, while Chris caulked our sills, and himself in the process. I'm fairly sure his hands are both water resistant and air tight. I would have liked to have gotten some pictures that day, but I had to make a frantic and last minute trip to home hardware (really that's the only kind of trip I make to home hardware), and then I forgot. You guys, too, are awesome!
Despite all that excellent help however, I still have one more coat of varnish to get on the mudroom. Everything else is done though. Yay! So here is the current varnishing tally:
Bathroom - 4 coats
Master bedroom - 2 coats
Kitchen - 2 coats
Mudroom - 2 coats
Living room - 2 coats
Upstairs - 2 coats
Cathedral ceilings - 2 coats
That works out to about 16 gallons of varnish so far. And I'd also like to note that my head/hair will likely be water resistant by the time I'm done, because I'm varnishing the ceilings too and I can't help getting it on my head. I'm really hoping that water resistant hair is a fad that will catch on.
* It's a Glee reference, sorry, I can't help it, but I love that show.

3 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

I totally caught that reference. Now I feel ashamed of myself.

Glad we could finally get down for a day to help.

4:39 AM  
Anonymous Jill said...

Ha! I got your reference too.

We had fun helping you guys. It was nice to finally get to hang out.

5:01 AM  
Anonymous Marcelle said...

It was great to help out Rosie! Hopefully we'll have the opportunity to come down again before you're all done.

8:02 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home