Thursday, August 26, 2010

Natural light

One of the things I love about our place so far is the abundance of natural light. I probably won't ever have to have lights on in the kitchen or living room during the day. Take the photo above for example. It sure looks like we have a light on in the kitchen, but that is actually from the sun shining in the west windows. So this is the kind of light we're going to have in our kitchen at 7:00pm on a sunny day at the end of August. :)
I'd also like to note that we have started the sanding extravaganza (as of the weekend before last). All of the wood surfaces need to be sanded and varnished. As you can imagine, this is an immense undertaking. Last night marked day 11 of consecutive sanding, and we're a little over half done. Erick and I are pro-orbital operators at this point, and all that remaining wood doesn't stand a chance. We also had some awesome help this weekend - Erick's brother Curtis and his wife (and my friend) Lori put down some pretty serious sanding time and thanks to their help we're a lot further along than we would otherwise be. Lori and I did the kitchen, and although you probably can't notice in the picture above, that whole kitchen is beautifully smooth to the touch and the beams are free of mud and footprints. Lori and Rosie - 1, Dirt and stained wood - 0.

2 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

The natural light is awesome. I predict that before too long you'll sacrifice ultra-efficiency for a skylight or two upstairs.

Sorry we didn't sand. We suck. (but we got a lot more paint on our place this week).

See you Saturday.

5:12 AM  
Anonymous Jill said...

My offer stands for Sept. 12. :) Let me know if you would like me and my sander to drop by.

Picture looks super awesome.

5:13 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home