Monday, February 19, 2007

Walla! (somebody gag me...)


I've noticed a word massacre perpetrated by our southern friends of late. Everytime I hear it (or see it in print for that matter) I want to puke. It goes something like this:

The magician showed us the empty hat, and then Walla! He pulled a rabbit out of it!

Its a blatant corruption of the word Voila, which not only sounds more appealing, it also looks more aesthetically pleasing than Walla. Please do me a favour. If you hear someone say this abomination punch them in the face. The world will be a better place for it....

Incidentally I wonder if this corruption began around the time "french fries" gained the name of "freedom fries"...

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've got to tell you Rosie there are soo many words people are using now, or altering I should say, that bother me... it's kind of sad really (that it bothers me that much, haha). I'm not sure why but one of the ones that bothers me the most is 'prolly'... how, or better yet WHY, would anyone spell 'probably' like that??!!!! :S If it's one of your words, haha, then sorry, I've just got a little rant going on here... :P

Holly :)

7:20 PM  
Blogger Pippa said...

No worries, I am a language snob and I hate things like that as well! :)

Another one that drives me nuts is when people say "presently" when they really mean "currently". They are not the same thing people!

5:30 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home