Thursday, September 28, 2006

Master Pippa



I've got to say, it feels good to be done.

So for those of you who are too far away to get the skinny on the defense, I thought I should talk about it a bit here.

The way this defense thing works is you make a 20 minute presentation, and then undergo two rounds of questioning. Your supervisors have the first crack at the questions, then the rest of the committee, then your supervisors again, rest of the committee, and then anyone can ask questions.

There were eight profs (5 were on the committee), 3 PhD candidates, 4 MScE candidates, and a few professional engineers who in a contest of pure intelligence I would back against anyone, so I knew I would be getting some tough questions. Luckily a couple of the PhD candidates and I spent some time in the days leading up to the defense thinking of possible questions I could be asked, so I was very prepared.

The presentation itself was like a bad dream. I had everything that I wanted to say all written out, but much to my dismay, when I got up there the podium was at waist height (if that) and the lights were super dim and I couldn't read what I had written. As a result almost the entirety of my presentation was spent staring down at my notes trying to read what I had written. Ok, it wasn't that bad, and Mike (roomie) said he thought the presentation went really well, but I wasn't having fun.

The questions on the other hand, were almost fun. I quickly realized that everyone in that room was on my side and that nothing would make them happier than to see me own the questions. I also realized that none of them were trying to trip me up or stump me. They were asking questions because they didn't understand. All of the committee made the point of saying that my thesis was a pleasure to read. One went so far as to say "This thesis is like a text book of what a thesis should look like!" The question period lasted an hour, and for me it just flew by. One after the other, I had the answers for them all (except the statistics stuff, but who cares about that anyway!).

Once everyone has asked their questions, the committee chases you out of the room and deliberates about whether you deserve to pass. I left the room, and the person standing outside it was Dr. Bob Scott - one of the most respected pioneers in Biomedical Engineering in the world. He is long retired, but he comes to school every now and then when he gets bored.

He shook my hand and told me "that was very well done!"

Next came fellow masters students: "Wow, you did a really good job on those questions!", "I think that was one of the best defenses I've ever seen!"

After that the committee came out (yeah, they deliberated for less than 5 minutes), and they all shook my hand and said congratulations. Both my supervisors looked a little shocked. One said "Your treatment of the questions was truly impressive!"

Anyway, so the next half hour was spent chatting with the others who have finished their masters and reminiscing about their defenses, and various questions I had in mine. The whole thing was SWEET. After this, I don't think my supervisors will be in any hurry to get rid of me! ;)

2 Comments:

Blogger Steph said...

Wow, sounds like it couldn't have gone better! Congrats!! I don't know how you do it, my honours defense was bad enough :P haha How's the new job going?

6:23 PM  
Blogger Pippa said...

Hey Steph!

I was just super prepared for my defense, thats all. I have worked on this project exclusively for a year, and I really was the expert there. I also realized that no one was trying to confuse me there, they were all askng questions because they wanted to know the answers.

I have to say, it is very different defending a master's and an undergrad. I would rather do a master's any day, because with the undergrad you may know a little about what you're doing but you don't have the time to develop a serious understanding of the topic. Therefore its pretty easy for people to ask you hard questions! :)

6:42 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home