Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Another look at what I'd like to do before hitting 30



At the beginning of the year, I made a list of what I want to do before I am 30. Recent events have made that list subject to some modifications. Some things I have accomplished, and other things have changed my priorities.

So here is the old list (in no particular order)

1) get my black belt in karate
2) no longer applicable
3) no longer applicable
4) Ride all the Grand Prix dressage movements
5) finish my master's (almost done! yay! My defense is Sept. 26th at 2:30)
6) find a job (did that, I am working as a project engineer with IBME)
7) buy a horse (I'm in no hurry to do that at the moment)
8) ...

It seems my list has been seriously depleted.

One thing I'd like to add to it which is a long term goal is to train Prussia to the International Equestrian Federation (FEI) levels of dressage. There is no question about whether she is athletic enough to do it, the problem is my dedication! ;)

Being a true libra, I am all about balance. This is supposed to be a good thing, but the problem with a life of balance is that it condemns one to perpetual mediocrity. I could excel at any number of things: I have a talent for riding, I have a talent for art, I have the build for karate and I could be really good at that, I could be a good climber... However, the moment I start to do one of these to the exclusion of other parts of my life, it loses its appeal. I am talking about riding specifically here. I love to ride, but if I rode every day for a week I feel like I really need to get away from it.

Karate is fun, but I just don't have the dedication to practise on my own, which is what divides those who are decent from those who are incredible.

An interesting thing though, is that no matter how much I climb I want to climb more. That said, I am not interested in doing mindless pullups or other exercises whose value is purely physical. Which again is what separates the men from the boys.

Its the same with drawing. The more I draw the more I want to draw, and yet I don't know that I could do it every day.

The end result is that I will probably (eventually) be quite good at all these things, I just won't ever be great.

My perfectionist brain doesn't want to acknowledge that however. When I am riding, I want to be the best rider possible. Same with martial arts, climbing, and my art. Its all a little bit frustrating, really.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Roses...I can tell you've been doing a lot of thinking :)

Congrats on your list! I don't think I still have mine...I don't think I accomplished much on my list BUT I am happy with alternatives!

Love ya & Miss ya!

Vy xoxo

11:17 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home