Thursday, August 03, 2006

gearing up for Provincial Championships






Pretty much all my time these days is occupied by writing thesis (hence my sudden aversion to writing ANYTHING, updates for my blog included). When I am not writing thesis, or crunching numbers, I am either on the way to or coming back from Saint John, because, as eveybody knows (or SHOULD know ;) ), the Dressage Provincial Championships are Aug. 12th and 13th, and Prussia and I have a lot to do before then.

For one thing, her canter to the left has become 'interesting'. Everytime I ask for the transition she explodes forwards like she just left the start gate at the Kentucky Derby. Perhaps she should have been a race horse, but a dressage horse is what she is now, and that just won't work. I won't have it. Do you hear that Prussia? Thats the law being laid down.

The other fun thing that she's been doing in the canter to the left is randomly throwing fits. One moment she'll be cantering along, happy as a clam, and the next she has thrown herself into the air (taking me along for the ride), twisting like a salmon jumping upstream. Let me tell you, thats lots of fun. Especially when I am not wearing my super stick-um breeches and my bum is slipping around in the saddle. Prussia probably figures the saddle could use a good polish anyway, so she is really just helping out. ;)

All these things included, its no wonder out of ALL the practice dressage tests we're ridden, only ONE has been error free. However, the errors do seem to be getting smaller so there is hope for us yet. One thing I have decided, I am most definitely wearing my helmet at the championships. Screw the elegant tophat look, top hats don't do much for your noggin when (and if) it comes down to the crunch.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home